Quote of the week

"I have learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear."
~Nelson Mandela

Sunday, March 9, 2014

EDLD 5364 course reflect 2

Week 2 course reflection


This week provided some interesting ideas and thoughts as I read and watched the videos assigned.  Goal setting is crucial to students' learning process.  It gives them a clearly defined target to reach and knowledge of what can be expected as an outcome.  As teachers we usually put an objective on our board and may even show and/or explain it to our students.  I think it is more of a compliance issue than a learning tool.  I know I have been guilty of this.  I want to look through my lessons this week to find where I can truly use this goal setting technique in my lessons.  I will try out a survey to see what they know about our next unit and post on my Google + page and website.  

The article I read on Michael Page's research was really eye opening.  What caught my eye was the impact technology usage had on Mathematics achievement.  The more I read, the more I felt vindicated on my passion to truly integrate the technology into my classroom despite the other colleagues who would tell me how much time it wastes.  I actually just emailed this article to my Principal and Assistant Principal over technology.  This article is very relevant to my school.  Our campus has a large group of low socioeconomic group of students.  We have just over 95% of our students on free or reduced lunch.  Granted this study was in elementary schools, but I think this can carry into the high school level.  

No comments:

Post a Comment